Old 20-04-2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Brrrrrr

Same thing happened here in Seattle. Last Saturday, 82°, my son took me out
and I bought two flats of assorted bedding plants for my balcony. Sunday I
was recovering from shopping and didn't get them planted out. As the week
progressed and temps dropped and snow started falling I was glad they were
on the livingroom floor next to the window. Last night it snowed again and
it's snowing hard now (noon-ish) as I type. Here's once when the foot
dragging procrastination pays off, my tender Spring plants are still alive
and well and indoors watching cable TV

Long term forecast indicates that about Wednesday it's going to be safe to
put them out....we'll see, things are subject to change around the PNW
without notice.

Val
"ntantiques" wrote in message
The Oregon weather gods sure are a cruel & perverse lot...Last
Saturday in the Eugene area it was an unseasonably balmy 84 degrees
here and this morning we awoke to 2 inches of snow. It only lasted
until noon...that was when the hail storms started. More nasty
weather predicted for the next few days with night time lows below
freezing.

So, the flats of seedlings I'd started to harden off on the deck have
been schlepped back into the garage, and are sharing space with nine
just sprouted trays of summer annuals (in 12 hour shifts under the
grow lights. Tote that barge, lift that bale). My little greenhouse is
filled to bursting and the rest of the tender outdoor plants have been
swathed in frost cloth.

I'm one of the lucky ones - the farmers here are really going to take
a bad hit. Fruit trees had just come into bloom when this hit and it
looks like some major crops like peaches and apples are going to be
badly impacted. Haven't spoken with friends with filbert orchards,
but if this bad patch of wintery weather hits them too, look for
hazelnut prices to climb - this area is one of the largest filbert
growing areas in the country.

Nancy T