Old 21-04-2008, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Big, easy houseplants for bachelor idiot

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi, I have a pothos as a houseplant, which I love, and I want to buy
some more house plants like it. So here's what I'm looking for:

1. Just green leaves, preferably not flower bearing. (Fruit bearing is
ok I guess.)
2. Durable- can withstand both cold and heat. I live in the northeast
USA.
3. Big. Like, I can buy big ones for cheap. How big- like 2 to 8 feet
tall.
4. My windows are north facing, get fairly good light in the summer
but not direct sunlight. Less light in the winter obviously.
5. (House plant, indoors, remember).

What are some more plants like that? Thanks,

dt

Heart-leaf philodendron (grown on a peat-moss pole)
Arrowhead (Nephthytis) (grown on a peat-moss pole)
Cast Iron plant (Aspidistra)
Peace lily
Mother-In-Law Tongue (Sansevieria or snake plant)

The peace lily will produce large white flowers and likes more water
than the others. Sansevieria over 10 years may produce dense and
fragrant flower stalks, although I have one over 25 years that has
never bloomed. The snake plant and philodendron are classic bachelor
plants and I have seen these two growing in the same pot. The pothos
and phildendron are different plants but are similar in
appearance/behavior. The cast iron plant is one of my favorites and
seems to thrive well on neglect; I have had one bloom and it appears
as a curious purple straw flower at the soil surface. None of these
plants can survive freezing temperatures, except the cast iron plant,
maybe.