Old 20-04-2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kate Kate is offline

Default Using florists` foam with orchids?

It occurred to me that the foam that florists use for live flower
arrangements holds a great deal of water and I was wondering if a disc of it
in the bottom of a pot, with expanded clay pellets as the growing medium
would work. The foam should keep the pellets moist. Or, pieces of the foam
mixed in with clay pellets? It wouldn`t drown the roots, but water would be
available. Trouble is, I don`t know how soon the foam would break down. Any
thoughts for or against, please?

Kate