Old 20-04-2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kate Kate is offline

Default Using florists` foam with orchids?

It was First Rays` method that gave me the idea. I live in the UK, and am
not sure if he posts his special pots internationally. Also, I suspect that
the cost of currency conversion and carriage would far exceed that of the
pots themselves. I see that his pots have drainage holes well up the sides
to provide a reservoir for the clay pellets to soak up, and as I cannot get
that kind of thing over here, I thought the foam might be an alternative.

Kate

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
Kate,

It sounds to me like you're reinventing the semi hydro wheel! Go to First
Rays and read about SH:

www.firstrays.com

Diana

"Kate" wrote in message
It occurred to me that the foam that florists use for live flower
arrangements holds a great deal of water and I was wondering if a disc of
it in the bottom of a pot, with expanded clay pellets as the growing
medium would work. The foam should keep the pellets moist. Or, pieces
of the foam mixed in with clay pellets? It wouldn`t drown the roots,
but water would be available. Trouble is, I don`t know how soon the foam
would break down. Any thoughts for or against, please?

Kate