Old 20-04-2008, 08:47 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Underground watering spikes?

"Gas Bag" wrote in message
I live in South Australia, and I was recently down at my local
hardware store and happened to notice this "new" sort of underground
spike watering system. I’m not sure exactly what brand it was, but it
was the same sort of principle as this:

http://www.wisewally.com.au/howitworks.html

The Wise Wally™ Aqua Spike System has been developed to reduce the
amount of water evaporation that occurs when watering your garden.
Other deep watering spikes currently available use plastic drink or
detergent bottles that click into the spike. The idea is great, but
the bottles are unsightly.
Wise Wally™ Aqua Spike Systems use a single aqua tank placed in the
corner of a garden bed and out of sight. The spikes connect to the
tank using standard 13mm irrigation tubing. Cover the tubing with
mulch or soil and you have a hidden irrigation system delivering water
directly to the root system of your plants.

I am trying to find out if anyone has used this watering system, or
anything similar? Any comments? In principle, it looks fantastic. What
I especially like about it is the fact that you only need to fill one
tank of water, rather than walking around your whole garden watering
everything. I’m fairly sure my soil has a fairly high clay content,
and I’m worried that the irrigation spikes might block up to the point
where the water simply won’t drain at all. If the water drainage
becomes slow, but doesn’t actually stop, that’s fine. I’m just
concerned about a total blockage. I’m also not interested in spending
mega bucks – can’t stress that enough.
Any advice at all? Different brands better than others? Etc.

A standard drip irrigation system with a timer would make more sense. You can
bury the outlet hoses from the drippers.