Old 21-04-2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default daffodill bulbs

On 4/20/2008 4:45 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:09:09 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the autumn?

Just leave 'em be. They will be back, year after year.

I'm sorry for your loss, whenever it was.

Care
Charlie

Daffodills are quite hardy. They will survive most winters, even with
snow and freezing weather. Just plant summer annuals over them without
digging them up.

The one problem you might have is if the cemetary maintenance crew mows
over your father's grave. Cutting the daffodill foliage before it turns
yellow and dies will weaken the bulbs. If this happens, you might as
well dig up the bulbs and trash them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean