Old 21-04-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default do groundhogs eat compost

Phisherman said:
The only way I could
effectively stop a groundhog is with an electric fence. Apparently,
beating them over the head with a shovel handle doesn't work well.

Well, you were applying the wrong end of the shovel. The business
end of a shovel or hoe can work wonders.

I once hit a small groundhog just in front of the eyes with a
hand-weeder like the Smith & Hawkins one pictured on this page:

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00078.asp

This was before I put in the electric fence and the groundhog
and I ran into each other while I was quietly weeding.

One good adrenaline-charged blow and it was over.

After enlightenment, the laundry.