Old 21-04-2008, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Which vegetables can be planted this month?

Freedom_Spark said:

I've also planted a tray full of cherry tomato seeds, they're on a
window sill & they're getting some doses of artificial light.

I saw something on 'gardeners world' which said that a small layer of
cling film over the tomatoes until the seedlings appear is a good
idea, any thoughts?

You might want to prop up the cling film with some toothpicks or
such so that it's not drooping right onto the surface. Otherwise
some sort of cover to keep the soil surface from drying out is a good
thing. I re-use deli trays with clear plastic lids to house the peat
pellets I use for seed starting.

My tomatoes (started April 12) are up, with some possible failures
among the heirloom types. (Good thing I start far more than I
require.) The eggplants (aubergines) are sprouted and most of
the peppers are up, except for Roumanian Rainbow (an heirloom
variety). There's something to be said for hybrid vigor, eh?

After enlightenment, the laundry.