Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Doe

Default Tomato cages

In article , "Smokehouse Rules"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
"Wayfarer" wrote in news:W6yba.39$IJ1.40107101
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:
Hey Karen,

Will you post back later in the season how you think they compare?

Sure. I can't imagine them being worse than the round ones, though.
Those things are just way too small. I ended up having to stake the
tomatoes as well as using the cages. One of my tomato plants was
close to 9' tall and straggled all over the place.

Karen

Karen,

Are you using a proper fertilizer? Sounds like too much stem growth for
tomatoes. Now okra, that's another story.

An indeterminate tomato can get quite tall. I borrowed a book called how
to grow World Record Tomatoes by Charles Wilber from the Austin Public
Library for giggles (my goal is to merely keep my plants alive). He
claims to have the record cherry tomato: Twenty eight feet 7 inches!!!.
The current hydroponically grown tomato record is 60+ feet.

Charles Wilber also has (or had) the record for highest yield: 1368
pounds from four plants = 342 pounds/plant. He grows in Alabama. He
claims these were featured on the cover of 1987 Guiness book of records.
This record was achieved with Better boy. He claims yields of 100 pounds
in 1/2 whiskey barrels.

He is a 100% organic gardner.

The pictures are truly astounding!!!

Roland