Old 21-04-2008, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Advice on Ivy please

On 2008-04-21 06:20:41 +0100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given said:

"adm" wrote in message news:2008042012050416807-

but then thought that Ivy or a similar wall climber might look
a lot nicer.

My advice for Ivy is: Don't! Find something else.

The old adage for Ivy ("first it sleeps, then it creeps, then it leaps") is
very true as I know from the multiple ivys I've spent (unsuccessfully)
trying to exterminate in my yard.

Thanks for all the advise so far! It seems to be about 4 to 2 in favour
of "DON'T DO IT".....with constant pruning being the
downside.....however, if i do plant it, it will be a location that's
easy to prune - I can just run the hedge trimmer along the top and
sides of the wall every month or so.

As for ever wanting to remove it, I remember the mess the roots make on
walls from my old days as a roofer. However, this is gong to be a cover
plant for an ugly but neccesary boundary wall and is not likley to ever
need to be removed - and if it is, it would be replaced with something
else unless bare concrete suddenly becomes the height of fashion!

Does anyone know of a better wall covering plant that will grow up a
concrete wall unsupported? I suppose if neccesary, I could string wires
along the face of the wall for support, but would rather not as they
will need to be replaced every few years.

I've had a scout around on 'tinternet and www.fibrex.co.uk seem to have
several hundred varieties of Ivy - including Goldheart as well as lots
of other nicely coloured ones. I also read that when planting Ivy, you
should put a handful of lime in the hole as it likes alkaline
conditions. Does this make sense?