Old 21-04-2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] jazzersaxman@gmail.com is offline

Default Azalea dilema

Hi all-

I've lived in my home for 1.5 years, and when we moved in, the
previous owners had 2 azalea bushes. Both are about 12 feet tall and
about 10ft. wide. They are enormous. I don't want to remove them
because I believe that they have been on the property a long time...

The problem is...I pruned them last year quite a bit (still too
large), but I began cutting very thick branches just under the surface
of the leaves. I want the bush to be much smaller, but do I need to
cut it down to nothing, and hope it grows back? I am willing to cut
the whole thing so there is nothing left but a stump and let it revive
itself, but is that the best way to have it "start over" ?

Thanks for any help.