Old 21-04-2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Large Pot

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:46:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

I have a ceramic pot that looks to be about ten gallons in size and it
doesn't have a drain hole at the bottom. I was thinking of placing rocks
and sand at the bottom for a base and setting a five gallon plastic pot
on top of that and then filling in the rest with potting mix. I was also
considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the pot myself. I presume
that's possible. Has anyone else confronted this type of problem and
have advice to give?

If it is a valuable antique pot don't drill any holes in it. You can
drill a few holes in the bottom using a concrete drill, slow speed,
and water for cooling/lubricant. For a pot that large, get or make a
dolly so it can be moved around.