Old 21-04-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My lawn is rubbish... Can anyone tell me why?

In article ,
says...

Baal;785678 Wrote:
Grass not growing?

Hmm...I wonder about drainage!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk
"Hairball" wrote in message
...-

Hi, Everyone

I would be most grateful if any of you can offer me some advice. I
have
a small lawn in SE London that is being a real pain.

My garden has been put together by a previous owner of the house with
great care. some landscaping has been done, and there are several
interesting plants that grow well including a bamboo plant and a rose
of somekind. The latter seems to grow whilst you watch! Sending long
tendrils through any and everything including the fence. However, the
grass is not so capable.

In short the grass grows in patches and seems to contain different
species. Some is fine of blade and others are more cylindrical. To be
honest, I don't really mind what kind of grass grows as long as
something does so I don't have to put up with a bald and/or weedy
garden.

Last May I had to some work that involved chopping up areas of the
grass, so I took that opportunity to lay some turf over some of the
bald patches and trying to plant seeds in others. Sadly, neither
really
worked and since then the grass has in many places died or been
overrun
with weeds.

I have posted few photos he

http://tinyurl.com/4sre7g

I have recently planted more grass seed in the bald spots and some of
it is growing a little albeit very slowly and in other places it's

Its a common problem, builders rubbish under a thin layer of soil and
call it a lawn!
First step, stop trying to weed it! use the mower, weeds will tend to go,
while grass won't mind, your grass gave the immpression that it was
growing under trees, or was otherwise shaded?
If you just want grass, use a cheap rye grass seed as it is vigorous and
hard wearing and copes better than the fine grasses with drought and
shade. But I suspect you may in the end have to remove some of the buried
rubbish as it is probebly causing areas to drought although you may get
away with some top dressing.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk