Old 21-04-2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default daffodill bulbs

On 21/4/08 00:09, in article
,
" wrote:

I'm no gardener but have had the unfortunate task of tending my
father's grave. I planted some daff bulbs last autumn and had a
beautiful display but the flowers are now dying off. I shall soon be
re-planting with summer plants. Should I save the daff bulbs for next
year, or shoud they be discarded and buy new ones again in the autumn?

Providing nobody mows over the grave and cuts off the leaves, let the bulbs
remain in place. You can remove the faded flowers but whatever you do,
leave the leaves in place as these will nourish the bulb for next year's
flowering. Daffodils flower again and again every year and they increase
naturally, creating offsets little bulbs that eventually turn into big grown
up bulbs that produce more flowers. Think Wordsworth. There are summer
bedding plants you can use, of course but there are also some summer
flowering bulbs which can also remain in place.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk