Old 23-04-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ray[_3_] Ray[_3_] is offline

Default Large-plant seeds? ? ?

Thanks -- that's most helpful.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:23:24 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

Recently I ordered from India some seeds for a large blooming shrub called
osmanthus fragrens, or sweet olive, or tea olive.

These seeds are black, in a husk, about the size of grapefruit seeds.

They arrived with no planting instructions. I welcome any guidance on how
plant and water these seeds.

Also, how long does it take for germination?

A simple search on propagation of Osmanthus seeds showed this and
dozens of others:

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a coldframe[200]. Stored
seed probably germinates best if it is given 3 months warm then 3
months cold stratification before sowing[113]. The seed usually takes
6 - 18 months to germinate, it should be pricked out into individual
pots when it is large enough to handle. Grow the plants on for their
first winter in the greenhouse and plant them out in early summer.