Old 23-04-2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

This was an E-mail reply to Dave, but in case other were interested in what
I was suggesting:

I got the fish in. I've taken a picture and posted it at the usual place:

http://homepage.mac.com/pondstuff/PhotoAlbum1.html

See the last picture.

Oh yes, that definitely needs to be scrubbed. Your choice if it is salt
paste or H2O2. I've always used H2O2 myself. Course don't get it in the
gills.

at .36%. Is that ok?

Yes, that's fine.

How do I clean the area with the hydrogen peroxide? Do I want to remove the
loose stuff, or just swab the wound gently?

Have paper towels and Q-tips on hand. In a circular motion scrub the area,
go under and remove any loose scales around the edges. Rinse, dab dry, and
put in the Tricide Neo. This is all easier to do if you put the fish to
sleep with Finquel, but if you haven't had a class in using it, I'm
hesitant to suggest it. But if you want to try, I'll try to talk you thru
using it.

As far as the Tricide-Neo, put solution in a bag, then fish, and hold bag
up so fish is immersed. In reality it isn't as bad as it seems.

Or you could scrub, iodine, antibiotic-type ointment and denture adhesive
powder
(sorry, it wasn't till later I saw that it was the powdered form that is
suggested not the other version)
and wait 3 days while the fish is fasting so it doesn't mess up the
Tricide-Neo, but we could also lose precious time if we wait. If you choose
the above, you won't scrub it again prior to the Tricide-Neo dipping.

And DI water is just distilled water?

Yes. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us