Old 23-04-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Composting urine

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

..au:

"jwturpin" wrote in
message

I know that using your "wee" on a compost heap is okay as
it's high in nitrogen, and that you can compost almost
anything that once lived, however, my question is one that
i'm sure hasn't been asked before...

I have recently started using a new cat litter for my 2
puss cats. It is compressed pellets of sawdust, which are
solid, but when wee'd on, they expand and turn back into
sawdust. It great, as wood has a natural ability to absorb
odour and the ammonia which traditionally makes cat wee
smell. Obviously, they poo in there aswell, but all
traces of solid matter are removed and disposed of.

My question quite simply, is just before the wood
pellets/sawdust reaches saturation point and is not a pile
of sawdusty slop is when I would normally empty the wee'd
on sawdust into a plastic bag and bin it. Can I put this
on my compost heap to help it along instead?? It seems an
awful waste of what seems to me to a perfectly good
compostable material!!

Any help most gratefully received!

Don't put it into compost that may be used in a vegetable
garden, but if you only use compost on shrubs, add it and
always wear gardening gloves and be fastidious about hand
washing.

is this also true if the solids are removed? it appears that
all the OP wants to know about is using the pee soaked sawdust
in his compost.
AFAIK, it's only the fecal material that carries pathogens
that may be transferred to humans... that said, i'd just make
a separate pile for ornamentals & use it in that pile
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there