Old 23-04-2008, 10:13 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly Jowls View Post
Hi there - another question for you guys. We have a beech hedge surrounding our garden which is lovely (now that we've pruned it back into shape) but the problem with it is that we get lots of bindweed and other irritating weeds underneath it. We have tried weedkilling underneath it but it is difficult to get to all the places so we have to use a spray on weedkiller (you can't hand pull them because of the hedge thickness).

Can anyone recommend a groundcover plant which would spread underneath the hedge and keep the weeds at bay? Preferably something quick spreading.

Thanks

You could try Lamium [but sometimes it is a thug and won't stay where wanted], or periwinkle, preferably the small flowering forms, or even a small ivy kept shaved. Whatever you use, you will have to plan on at least one plant every foot of fence, and if you have bindweed you must kill it off first if you can.