Old 24-04-2008, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Does sod "wear out"?

Kurt Ullman said:

In article
,
wrote:

On Apr 23, 7:46*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

Insect damage would be a possible suspect. * Have you had the soil
tested, adjusted PH if needed?

* Insect damage was suggested by my lawn service, looked for, none
found, and I believe them since the application of an insecticide would
be an additional expense.

When did they look for insects? Timing is everything. You need to
look for them when they are active and actually there. If you wait
until you notice lots of damage, which could be months later, you may
not find them.

Three various times over the last two years. Mostly early spring,
although also early fall (late August) last year.

It may be that several things are combining to create the problem. I
guess of particular concern is the fact that you say you've aerated
and overseeded twice in the last few years and it's gotten worse.
Clearly something is wrong. Another question is what type of grass
has it been overseeded with? Was it bluegrass, which will spread, or
a cheap rye grass mix, etc.

Bluegrass. That is what they said was the original turf.
Thanks. I'll probably head off and get a soil test kit and see what
happens with the pH before I got tearing up the yard for a trip to the
extension service.

You don't need to "tear up" your yard. You just need to take several
samples (about the size of a aeration plug) from different areas in the
yard. You won't notice any damage from the plugs.
--

Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?