Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
G a e X a v i er

Default Greens

Well, my favorite is still that good old sheep's sorrel (sometimes called
Lemon Sorrel) -- the big flat broad leaves for winter BLT sandwiches is
wonderful.

Like I said during the freeze, when I went out and the sorrel leaves broke in
two like potato chips; I just knew I had lost it. But it is back as good as
ever now and none the worse for being frozen solid. I read that at some point
it will decline if it is not thinned and divided though.

I have Redcurl lettuce which is doing very well and some Upland cress which is
already bolting. Also my bok coy is bolting.

I have some coriander, Italian parsley and chervil that is doing well. The
arugula is bolting. The salad burnet is unstoppable. The lemon balm has gone
wild. I haven't tried it in salads, but will now from Karen's recommendation.

I really like Mexican marigold or Mexican Tarragon it is sometimes called.
That stuff smells so good and tastes good too. I also love the African basil.
I think I see some coming up volunteer where my big bush was last year. It is
so pungent and delightful for salads and soups and the bees are wild for it!

I got two baby Moringa trees to sprout this winter and I am nursing them
along. I get the feeling that it is still a little chilly for these babys. I
read where not only the pods for an asparagus-like veggie, but the flowers and
leaves are great in salads and supernutrients are included. I can't wait to
see how these two little trees do. I love the pods (called drumsticks) in
Indian soups, now to try the leaves for salad.

I also have a curry tree which has teardrop leaves that are great in
Birani-type casseroles and such a mild, lovely flavor. But I had to mail order
it as they are hard to find here. I saw a couple for sale once in an Indian
grocery however.

Best to All -- Gae

groober wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
: How does your garden grow?
:
: From time to time, Gae has mentioned greens she's growing in her
: garden, and I've wondered what other gems she hasn't mentioned. I
: added sorrel and salad burnet to my yard because she mentioned them,
: and I'm wondering what else others have.
:
: I have lettuce, arugula, sorrel, lemon balm (this is amazing in
: salads), and now salad burnet. And some spinach. What other salad
: fixings do you have in your garden? Oh, and I have 3 kinds of mint.
:
: Karen

Mizuna is attractive and very quick to grow from seed. I had a greens pond
in my greenhouse this winter and it was by far the most productive.

I got my seeds at evergreenseeds.com.