Old 25-04-2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

On Apr 25, 10:26 am, wrote:
are those missing scales on the "good side"?

There are some missing on both sides. The left side ("driver's side")
of the fish is what I'm calling the good side.

I had major problems keeping ammonia and nitrites under control
yesterday in the 10 gal tank. It seems to work for about a day or two
and then even with water changes it's hard to keep on top of that for
a fish that large (it's over a foot long nose to tail). So, I ended up
getting a more hospitable hospital tank. It's a 46 gallon tank that
I've set up with an oversized filter & circulation and lots of air.
The tank was finally acclimated early this morning so I moved the fish
over there.

I did not dip last night because of the chaos of setting up this tank
and preparing a filter-caught fish for the smaller tank. As I
mentioned in another post, I found this fish in my bottom drain filter
basket with another fish that looked like it had been ripped apart.
I'm not sure if that happened on the trip to the basket or earlier,
but I've never seen a fish torn up like that just by being in the
filter basket. In any case, one survived, and one didn't. After
letting the fin damaged fish relax over night in an aerated bucket
with some salt and slime coat additive, I did a salt dip on that fish
and put it in the 10 gallon tank (newly set up). It's a much better
fit for that tank and seems comfortable.

Busy times.

Dave