Old 26-04-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
MajorOz MajorOz is offline

Default Any new stuff?

On Apr 24, 2:44 pm, enigma wrote:
MajorOz wrote
oups.com:

Will saved seeds from hybrids produce?

well, yes, but... you won't get anything like the hybrid
parent. the resulting plants may be like their grandparents,
or maybe not. IOW, if you plant seeds from a hybrid leek,
you'll get some sort of a leek, but it may have undesirable
traits, like susceptability to disease or slow growth, small
size, bland flavor... (or they could be really good)

I have been messing about with roses for only a few years, and three
years ago got some cheapie ones late in the season. They were nice
and filled out a bed of other flowers. That winter, my inexperience
and their poor quality combined to have them freeze. My friend, who
is somewhat of an expert, told me to:
1. buy better roses
2. prune, mulch, etc and take care of them
I ignored what appeared to be dead roots that year.

A year later, from the (what he called) Chinese root stock, beautiful
copper colored roses sprung. They have produced every since.

Sometimes, nice surprises happen.

Anyhow, thanx for the answer.

cheers

oz