Old 25-04-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sierra Nevada flower

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| It's stunning, Nick. Did you not bring a few bits home with you?! Tsk! In
| a way it reminds me of an Eryngium that we saw growing in the Trodos
| mountains of Cyprus. The blue was so intense that they looked just as if
| they'd been spray-painted. I have never before, or since, seen anything
| like them.

I am not good with cuttings, but I did spend some time looking for
seed-pods. No joy, unfortunately. The ones in the Sierra Nevada
weren't as intense a blue as the picture, but were still a good
blue. The plants are sufficiently distinctive that an autumn
visitor should be able to collect seeds - it looks as if the
Portugese variant may have the best colour.

There was also a Cistus that I failed to find any full seed pods
of, but it wasn't all that exciting. Nice, but just another Cistus
with small white flowers.

I got some seeds from two street trees in Granada, which I can't
offhand identify. I will chase up a bit and try to grow them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.