Old 26-04-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Raccoons & motion sensing lights

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:06:46 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

~ jan wrote:
Agree with Joe. Motion light did nothing to stop the raccoon here in

2000,
but the motion activated sprinkler hasn't see them come back since I set it
up and I know they're around, they've been sighted. ~ jan

I have found that the only effective raccoon deterrent is a .22LR.
Where I live, it is legal to take them at night, with a night vision scope.

Ymmv.

I'm sure where I'm at a snack of easy to get cat or dog food left on some
the porch is better than difficult fish catching.... but the sprinkler has
keep the ponds free of them making mess of the plants the last 8 years. I
actually wondered if we even had any around, but when my boys finally
spotted one.... Well... before the screens came off I had the motion
sprinklers back on. Train 'em before they're tempted is my motto. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us