Old 26-04-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Composting urine

Father Haskell wrote in

oups.com:

On Apr 23, 9:26 am, enigma wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

t.net .au:

"jwturpin" wrote in
message

I know that using your "wee" on a compost heap is okay
as it's high in nitrogen, and that you can compost
almost anything that once lived, however, my question
is one that i'm sure hasn't been asked before...

I have recently started using a new cat litter for my 2
puss cats. It is compressed pellets of sawdust, which
are solid, but when wee'd on, they expand and turn back
into sawdust. It great, as wood has a natural ability
to absorb odour and the ammonia which traditionally
makes cat wee smell. Obviously, they poo in there
aswell, but all traces of solid matter are removed and
disposed of.

My question quite simply, is just before the wood
pellets/sawdust reaches saturation point and is not a
pile of sawdusty slop is when I would normally empty
the wee'd on sawdust into a plastic bag and bin it.
Can I put this on my compost heap to help it along
instead?? It seems an awful waste of what seems to me
to a perfectly good compostable material!!

Any help most gratefully received!

Don't put it into compost that may be used in a
vegetable garden, but if you only use compost on shrubs,
add it and always wear gardening gloves and be
fastidious about hand washing.

is this also true if the solids are removed? it appears
that
all the OP wants to know about is using the pee soaked
sawdust in his compost.
AFAIK, it's only the fecal material that carries
pathogens
that may be transferred to humans... that said, i'd just
make a separate pile for ornamentals & use it in that pile
lee

What meds are you on? Some will make it through
your kidneys unchanged or as metabolites.

i'm not on any meds. i probably will be shortly, as i seem to
have cancer, but that has nothing to do with the original post
which was asking about CAT LITTER.
so, i'll modify that to *if the cats are not on medication*,
composting the wet litter should be fine. happy now?

lee wondering now if plants pick up medications or
metabolites from the water you use
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there