Old 26-04-2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Which vegetables can be planted this month?

Freedom_Spark said:

What's happened to my lettuce seedlings??? :-(

Just as I thought I was getting the hang of this gardening thing, I
went out to check on them yesterday & alot of my tiny little lettuce
seedlings have been uprooted, I've no idea what happened, I'm
going to hope some have survived & start a few more on the inside
& try & get them past their early, delicate phase before planting out.

Anyone have any ideas what may have went wrong?

Possibly birds. They can be a nuisance in spring, pulling up tiny
seedlings or nipping off larger ones. I have a set of bird netting
which I use to protect my sweet corn plantings--I have actually
watch a bird pull up the tiny shoots to nip off the seed. And
I have small wire tents I put over squash and sunflower seeds.

Another possibility would be four-footed critters digging in that
nice, soft garden soil. Cats are notorious for this. And they
can leave...presents...

After enlightenment, the laundry.