Old 26-04-2008, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Special Lawnmover Oil a Con?

Dave wrote ...
q1)
I've just bought a new petrol mower after my old one died after 18
years service, and find it specifies LawnMower Oil. Is this a con and
will any good quality Motor Oil 20/50 be just as good?

q2)
My new mower has a hook on the handle for the Starter Cord but I
cannot for the life of me see why, can anyone explain?

Go look at a can of "Lawnmower oil" and see what the specification is...pen
and paper might be a help...
From my own little knowledge.....

S.A.E rating is basically the viscosity so you get 30 or, say, 10w-30 which
indicates it doesn't change viscosity like a normal straight 30 oil when
cold/hot. (in this case more runny when cold the same when hot)

Then there is the API (USA) or ACEA (EU) or JASO (Japan) rating which
denotes how good the oil is as a lubricant.
Letters like API. SD or SC denote the type (detergent) and lub quality and
the higher the second letter the better it is.
Some oils also carry an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) rating (i.e
for BMW it's now LL-04) so you might see that too.

If you write down the spec any decent motor factor will be able to supply
oil of the right quality at a cost saving.

Provided the oil you buy meets or betters the specification you will have no
problems and the manufacturer cannot say you used the wrong oil if the
engine self destructs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden