Old 26-04-2008, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trees good for coppicing

In article ,
Ken writes:

| Can anyone tell me what kind of trees I should plant for regular
| coppicing for burning on a woodburning stove? I want something that
| will burn well, but not take donkey's years to grow (I'm a bit of an
| old donkey to start with!)
|
| Our soil is poor, acid and stony.

That's your problem. Look around and see what deciduous trees grow
naturally (or well), and try them. Rowan will grow, if you are
prepared to risk the witches' wrath. But, traditionally, people
generally used gorse for fuel on that sort of land.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.