Old 26-04-2008, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Special Lawnmover Oil a Con?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 03:39:04 -0700 (PDT), zzapper wrote:

and find it specifies LawnMower Oil.

Define "LawnMower Oil" in terms of SAE etc. I'd expect to find that
information in the manual for the engine. Note that the overall mower
manual will be less detailed than the proper engine manual. You should
have got a copy of the proper engine manual with the mower. Most of the
common makers have manuals online if you didn't.

Is this a con and will any good quality Motor Oil 20/50 be just as good?

See what grade is specified in the manual for the expected temperature
range that the engine is going to be operated in and use that or something
acceptably close, what ever that means!

My bottle of "Qualcast Lawn Mower Oil" says "SAE 30" and "API SF".

*IF* my understanding of oil ratings is correct (big if) a 20w50 oil is
thicker than a 30 oil at the same nominal operating temperature of 100C. I
think you'd be better looking for a 10w30 oil or at least one with the 30
for the hot viscosity rating.

My new mower has a hook on the handle for the Starter Cord but I
cannot for the life of me see why, can anyone explain?

So you don't have to bend down so far to pull it?

--
Cheers
Dave.