Old 26-04-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan holmes alan holmes is offline

Default Controlling squirrels

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
On 25 Apr, 23:06, "alan holmes" wrote:

I was just about to, the traps are very effective and once dead the tree
rats do not come back, they are more reliable than trying to shot the
damned
things as well, I'm not saying you should not try to shoot the bloody
things, but I doubt with my shakes I would be able to kill the things
that
way.

Mole valley famers have branches around the south west of england, the
one I
use is at Bridgwater.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've just checked out their website at http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/
but the link to vermin traps
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pl2_VERMIN_TRAPS.htm
gives a 404 error, very disappointing!

I was planning on ordering something like this
http://www.killgerm.com/product-group.php?group=578
to go in a tunnel like this
http://www.killgerm.com/product-group.php?group=580

These ones seem to have a good press, but it looks like you need to
make your own tunnel from bits a wood
http://www.killgerm.com/product-group.php?group=584

I use a black bin bag round mine, it works quite well except the damned
things try to eat the plastic, which means you have to replace it now and
again, they will also try to claw their way out of the wood tunnel so that
would have to be replaced from time to time, not as often as the bin bags
though!(:-)

I've got a touch of the DTs too which I think makes guns inadvisable,
apart from the traps being a lot cheaper and less time consuming.

When you say the tree rats don't come back, you obviously mean the
dead ones don't, but I guess the vacant territory gets taken over by
an adjacent gang, meaning squirrel trapping will become an ongoing
part of the gardening experience, oh what joy. They make nice
caseroles apparently.

I've never found one to have enough meat on it to try to cook it!

Alan