Old 26-04-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Fish-proof bottom drain cover?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:26:05 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

I just found two fish in my bottom drain filter basket tonight.

I don't have a solution, but I'm just curious what kind of bottom drain you
have that has a filter basket, or is this the basket before an out-of-water
pump?

I too, get fish taking a ride thru the bottom drain. But I drain straight
to the prefilter, so it is just a ride to the barrel where they have to
hang out till I clean the pre-filter.

Last year I think every goldfish went for the ride. Most of the taddies had
ended up there, and I think the first one that I fished out, told the
others there was a feast down the bottom drain, as the next day just about
every one of them was in the prefilter. Amazingly the taddies survived by
hiding in the folds of the filter screening, and the fish gave up the
pursuit, though one always seems to have to go check it out periodically.
This year there will be no taddies in the pre-filter as I'm fishing all the
eggs out. And the one fish who took the ride is finding it is a long wait
back to the pond this year. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us