Old 27-04-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trees good for coppicing

In article ,
"Derek" writes:
| "Ken" wrote in message
|
| Can anyone tell me what kind of trees I should plant for regular
| coppicing for burning on a woodburning stove? I want something that
| will burn well, but not take donkey's years to grow (I'm a bit of an
| old donkey to start with!)
|
| Our soil is poor, acid and stony.
|
| Hazel Birch Poplar and Willows will tolerate poor soils and were trees of
| choice for the coppices of the past and the biosmass projects of today.

Not really. My understanding is that birch is one of the few native
deciduous trees that doesn't coppice well, and poplars were not
traditionally coppiced. All of those except hazel and, to a lesser
extent, birch are 'pulpwoods' and do not burn well. Hazel will just
about tolerate poor soils, but grows well only on very rich ones.

Birch is a good bet, but might involve a different management; i.e.
growing a mixture of ages, and removing the 'mature' trees for fuel.
But even that won't grow fast on that soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.