Old 27-04-2008, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Trees good for coppicing

"Ken" wrote
Can anyone tell me what kind of trees I should plant for regular
coppicing for burning on a woodburning stove? I want something that
will burn well, but not take donkey's years to grow (I'm a bit of an
old donkey to start with!)

Our soil is poor, acid and stony.

Hardwoods are better than softwoods once a fire is going as they take longer
to burn, Hornbeam is a hard wood that takes well to Coppicing and is a UK
native. (hornbeam means horn tree, referring to its hardness)
Coppicing is, by it's nature, a long term investment and for decent firewood
I would expect a 20 to 25 (or more) year cycle to be the time you need to
think about. However with a poor soil it may take longer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden