Old 27-04-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trees good for coppicing

In article ,
brian mitchell writes:
| Ken wrote:
|
| Can anyone tell me what kind of trees I should plant for regular
| coppicing for burning on a woodburning stove? I want something that
| will burn well, but not take donkey's years to grow (I'm a bit of an
| old donkey to start with!)
|
| Our soil is poor, acid and stony.
|
| I don't think acid or stony are particularly problematic, as woodland
| soils are naturally acidic, ....

Acidity isn't a simple on/off factor. The acidity of woodland soils
is a result of the humus; acidity in clay is also a different matter
from acidity in peat, which is different from acidity in stony soils.
Some of them cause serious problems; others don't.

| I think the best trees for this use would be ash, sycamore (or Norway
| maple), birch, and possibly sweet chestnut, if these will grow in your
| area. They are all good burning wood, unlike poplar and willow. ...

My guess is that the only one of those that would grow in that soil
is birch. But it depends on HOW poor and acid the soil is, and WHY.
He should certainly look around and see what grows in the area.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.