Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Derek Turner

Default Chicken Manure. Is it safe?

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:39:37 +0100, wrote:

Hi,

I've been offered an ample supply of chicken manure. Its fresh off the
shed floor so has straw etc mixed into it and it hasnt been treated.

Is it safe to use on a flower and veg patch?

My mum reckons its not safe. She mentioned something about salmonela.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I speak as a very amateur gardener but as an ex-professional
bacteriologist who dealt with salmonella every day of my working life.

1. Due to testing and vaccination Samonella enteritidis in eggs is (it
is to be hoped) becomimg a thing of the past. But the many, many other
species of Salmonella (that don't get into the eggs) are not tested
for nor vaccinated against. The advice we always gave was to treat
fresh chicken in the kitchen as you would treat a fresh turd! Assume
it's infectious and wipe up after.

2. Salmonella sp. are one of the easiest bugs to kill. A temperature
of 60 degrees Celcius does it, so does drying out. It is not very
resilient once out of its natural environment.

3. If the stuff is coming fresh from the shed floor I suggest you
compost it first: it will heat up to way beyond 60 if you have a
decent quantity. This will make it perfectly safe.

4. And/or dry it very well.

5. The few live bacteria that might get onto salad leaves are very
unlikely to infect you, especially if you are a healthy adult. It
takes quite a high dose to make you ill. Take more care with, infants,
the elderley and anyone whose immune system is compromised.

6. You are far more likely to infected by poultry that is improperly
cooked or from cold meat that has been cross-contaminated. To reach
infectious levels the bugs need to breed on a nutritious substrate
(e.g. meat).

7. You could be even more cautious by using the manure as a compost
accelerator/enricher i.e. mixing it with your grass-cuttings etc. The
heap will get VERY hot!

8. I have a small flock of chickens in the garden and use them for
ground clearance between crops (i.e. depositing fresh droppings).
Frankly, it never occurs to me to worry! Relax!
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.