Old 05-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Ground elder & plants to grow with it

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
writes
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Are we talking the big white bindweed here or the little pink one? I
know the little pink one seems to like quite dry soils, but the big
white one is very happy in my wet soil.

The little pink one.

Fascinating. The only one that gives me trouble here (on heavy clay) is the
big white one.

Yes, on clay, like you, I have trouble with the white one. Though
pulling out a yard and a half of thick root in one go is very satisfying
:-)

I can even afford to let small amounts of the pink field bindweed grow as an
ornamental.

Lucky you! Despite introducing it, I can't get it to grow at all!
I love the scent of it.

I think we have some fairly convincing evidence (though not, of course,
proof) of soil dependence!

It would be extremely interesting to see a botanical/horticultural book
on weed issues in the UK, describing the circumstances under which
particular species are likely to be a pest. There is a lot more to
this topic than most people realise.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.