Old 28-04-2008, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkopf General Schvantzkopf is offline

Default Groundhogs

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:54:04 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:35:36 -0500, phorbin wrote:

Did you try any sort of predator scent? I'm thinking about emptying my
kitty litter boxes down his hole.

Yep... Didn't work. YMMV --Try tiger, lion or panther.

Ammonia, mothballs, moth crystals, etc. haven't worked for us on any
critter. I've also tried diluted groundhog blood down the holes to no
effect.

Coincidentally, another one of the sodding things has wandered in and
I'll be dealing with it in the next day or so, once I've learned its
habits.

We're still pre-planting and nothing has grown much so I've a little
time.

I guess I'll have to bring out the Havahart trap. What do you use for
bait? BTW what's the density of groundhogs?. If I trap the one in my
garden will another one just show up to take his place?. Back in the 80s
I was trapping raccoons and that was hopeless. I moved 50 of them before
I gave up. The thing that finally got the raccoons under control was a
rabies epidemic.