Old 28-04-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Garage Wall

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

I am looking for recommendations please.
The rear boundary of our garden is formed by the side wall of our
neighbour's tandem garage.
The wall is east facing so gets some morning sun upto mid-day.
I have just removed 2 pyracantha (which had outgrown themselves) from the
border. This leaves a rather stark wall as our garden back-drop.
What does the group recommend to screen this wall (not ivy)?
Ideally I would prefer 2 or 3 free standing plants which will grow a bit
above the garage roof level to break up the line (flat roof approx 7'
high).
To keep the screen, evergreen or winter interest is important particularly
to er-indoors.
Alternatively I would like fruit of some kind - not pears - would any work
in this location?
The soil is workable in the immediate area but predominantly it is clay
with 2" chalk seam 12-18" down.
The border is about 12' long with a large silver birch at the southern
end.
The location is East Yorkshire.

Any fruit or non-fruit recommendations for this location appreciated along
with soil treatment necessary.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

To start with Phil, would your neighbour object to you painting it? (If it
is an ugly concrete block or concrete sectional that is) My garage is the
latter and is painted. My neighbour has a concrete outbuilding which looked
ugly and I asked if I could paint it .......... no problem at all.

Of course it is dependent on getting on with your neighbours, which I do.

Mike