Old 28-04-2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Orchid Inventory

What will you be revamping in the GH?

K Barrett

"Sue Erickson" wrote in message
Ok -
I am late to the party -- but I lost my C drive in the middle of
March, which is not good for a Tax Accountant. I just got Agent,
GigaNews and You All back yesterday.

John and I use Access.
Advantages beyond the normal sort and print functions:
1. table for proper spellings and abbreviations of genus
I too suffer Kath's problem
2. table for vendors names, addresses, email, website, phone etc
nice to know where to go back or who to avoid
all link to THE list of plants.

The plant list sorts like Bobs with a click so I can look at or print
all the Catts or in our case it is usually all the Paphs and Phrags
to take shopping.

The ability to post pix in the database is there - the pix just made
it too big so now it is just a x box to say the pix is in the web
file.

I found taking the laptop out for inventory did not work. We were at
the point of getting a scanner the same label printer will print
barcodes for numbers. We had a number set that included the vendor
number as well as the plants number in the database.

John found a ThinkDB at one time that allowed access to be reduced to
PalmPDA sized database and it was very helpful during shopping trips.
It is so disconcerting to fall in love with a new plant only to get
home and find the reason your in love is because you already have 2.
G If you only learned to re-bloom them, you would have known.

I use colored tags for repot - this year is blue, last is yellow.
Anything in yellow needs it... anything in blue should be fresh.
I don't do updates well except for deaths, sales, purchases.
We are way - way behind on the photos and well be completely revamping
the gh this summer - the Phrags are taking over the west bench and all
plants in the way have to go.

Anyone got a good fern control. I don't know where they came from
except the staghorn but at least 3 ferns are making my gh home and
causing havoc with all things orchid.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:22:39 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
Okay. Back to Excel, and off we go.

Diana