Old 29-04-2008, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default bone meal

On Apr 29, 10:00 am, Martin wrote:
On 29 Apr 2008 08:41:40 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
ernie mendoza writes:
| why can't i find bone meal in the shops this year? has this
| slow-release fertiliser been banned by the bureaucrats in brussels?

No. Possibly by the ones in Whitehall, though.

It was banned in UK during the BSE epidemic.
--

Martin

I remember using it in UK in mid 1990s and it gets all over the place;
it ends up on your hands or you inhale the stuff (even if only tiny
amounts) when you splash it around. This scared the biggies out of me
for a while when I realised its role in spreading BSE. Bone meal in
cattle feed was probably the reason it spread so much. The infectious
agent is very resistant to most normal treatments and it can stay
active for ages, even in the ground. It is sad because that was
actually very good recycling but I would not touch the stuff now.
Pelleted chicken big jobs will have to do instead. If it was banned
by the EU, then dead right. I think it was banned by the UK govt
though, and that was a bit late in the day (memories of Conservative
government ministers feeding hamburgers to their F1 progeny).

Des