Old 22-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Jim Carter

Default Gardening Record Keeping Software

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:22:46 GMT, "NS9G" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

If I had realized what a nice person you are I wouldn't have bothered
replying in the first place.
But, since we are here, would someone please explain why a computer is more
functional than a pencil and notebook.
Is a computer more dependable?
Is a computer more accurate?
Is a computer less expensive?
Is a computer doing any actual gardening?
Is a notebook likely to crash and destroy all your records?

I think perhaps the effort to meld two entirely different hobbies might
prove counterproductive.

Computers are more than a hobby to me. I know few people have my circumstances,
but...

This is not a flame; I am merely answering your question.

I have multiple sclerosis and am in a wheelchair because my legs don't work.
Fine muscle control in my right hand is gone (I am right handed), so I have
great difficulty writing and writing legibly is impossible with my left hand.
The only ways I have of keeping records a

1) have someone write for me or
2) use the computer to make my notes.

My point is that you have no idea why someone asks a particular question on
usenet unless they care to add the reason with the question. If you know the
answer to the question then why not give it else remain silent?

Computers have two purposes:

1) number crunching
2) the rapid storage and retrieval of information.

They have the added benefit of storing the information in a compact, readily
accessible area as well as making the information easy to find. Why should
someone not use their computer for record keeping of their garden?

You did ask.

And for those who are curious but too shy to ask: my vegetable gardens (two)
are in long, narrow beds; raised about two feet with patio stones around them
making everything accessible to me from the wheelchair.
From: watchman )
[Now ]
Newsgroups: alt.support.thyroid
Date: 2002-01-12 15:56:30 PST
"Look lady .. if you don't know what you are talking about 'medically' ..
then stay out of it .. The man has had three miscarriages/spontaneous
abortions."