Old 05-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default "Why not eat insects?" - was Which tree and where?

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

I've eaten insects both knowingly and unknowingly but I know a ten year

old
girl who cooked and ate (with relish - not the sauce type) a dish of
earthworms. She was one of several military family children who were
learning about survival.

And why not?

Because it would remind me of school dinners onion soup ;-)

You had soup at school?

There's posh!

Well, lass, to as young and innocent as you, maybe. But to someone
of my era and background, not quite!

At the other end of the scale from posh, soup is traditionally used
for the following purposes:

To make a very small amount of food go a long way, by the use of
a large amount of water and (if you have it) some form of starch.

To make some use of the ingredients that are unpalatable or even
actually uneatable. Skin, bones, woody vegetables etc.

To hide the fact that you are reusing leftovers of the sort that
would traditionally have been fed to the pigs.

To this day, I can remember those soups. Actually, I didn't mind them
much, though I wasn't keen on almost unflavoured flour paste, but posh
they weren't!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.