Old 29-04-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Which vegetables can be planted this month?

Freedom_Spark wrote in
:

Thanks, I closed off a small gap beside my gate & since then there
hasn't been any damage, must have been the neighbour's cat, because all
of our dogs are too big to have made it through.

Any way, a few more questions...

My radishes, lettuce, garlic, carrots etc. all seem to be doing quite
well however, I'm slightly worried about my red onions they were
planted as bulbs & there has been no noticable growth, what should I be
seeing by now?

Onions look like a tall and slightly more sturdy grass coming up. I've
got three yellow ones so far, and they were planted about a week ago.

Also, would there be any reason that my courgettes appear to be growing
roots upwards :-S I hope there's no specific way seeds have to be
planted I just randomly throw them in the tray & push them down
slightly.

Some seeds ARE picky about how they're planted. Green beans, for
example, start growing roots at the "eye". Nice thing about them is they
right themselves as they come out of the ground.

Most of the time you can just replant it properly and it'll do ok.

Also, a sweet pepper question, do they require alot of heat to grow
because I've had a few in trays just with propogator lids on top but no
sign of germination as yet.

What's your seed packet say? (This is my first year with peppers, too.
Not sure where they are in the garden, either...)

Thanks again everyone I'll get the hang of it eventually

Have fun, and remember that even seasoned gardeners run in to problems.
;-)

Puckdropper--