Old 29-04-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default scale on orchids?!

Maggie's Mom wrote:
Yesterday I've noticed SCALE parasites on couple of my orchids. I've seen
scale on my ferns, but that was killed off by Bayer Dual Action Rose and
Flower Insect Killer.

It is very effective on scale, most effective of everything I used so far.
Can I possibly use it on orchids (phals, cattleyas, dendrobium) w/o damaging
plants? Has anybody in this group used commercial bug sprays on their
orchids without damaging them?

Thanks for your input, - Maggie's Mom.

I googled the product and the active ingredients are Beta-cyfluthrin:
0.0015% Imidacloprid: 0.012%. The first is a synthetic pyrethroid, and
the second is more commonly known by a trade name, Merit. Pyrethrins of
various sorts have been used on orchids for years and so has Merit. I
haven't heard of any damage to plants form them, though damage to
current inflorescences or those currently developing is always a
possibility when chemicals are used, but that's sometimes a small price
to pay for saving the plant. The only thing you need to worry about,
IMHO, is the inactive ingredient, probably a petroleum-based product.
Spraying very early before ths sun is on the plants and when it's cooler
or later in the evening when the same conditions prevail is best to
avoid burning - the oil solvent in which the ingredients are dissolved
can act like tanning OIL (NOT suntan lotion) and intensify the sun and
cause severe burning - it needs to dry well before the sun is on the
plants - shading can help if necessary.

Other than that, and of course being careful not to get it on you or
breathe it in (as you should be when using it anytime - reading the
label for safety precautinos is always a good idea!), I think you should
be fine.

That's my opinion and I am a person who thinks scale are one of the TRUE
evils of the world!!