Old 30-04-2008, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Help/advice please

"Wally" wrote in message
At the end of last season I made some raised beds,
sieved soil, stable waste and farm yard manure all
mixed.
This was covered with old carpet to stop any weed
growth.

Today I uncovered and loosened the soil and found a lot of Centipedes and
millipedes.

Now for my questions.

1 Do they do any harm ?

Millipedes mostly eat dead and decaying vegetation, but can eat small
seedlings and cause further damage to slug-damaged corms, tubers, bulbs and
seeds

Centipedes are insectivorous - so are often considered to be helpful to
gardeners