Old 30-04-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pond Addict Pond Addict is offline

Default URGENT - Another sick fish

I've also seen information about eye flukes online. I'm not sure if
that's what's going on or not. I wish I could figure this out, but a
visual examination of the eye isn't giving me any clues. This can't be
the only fish in the world to have this disorder...

This is what it looks like to me (top-down view):

___++ ---- what looks like a rough whitish bit of skin,
easily visible.
[ ] ---- protrusion. Almost swollen with fluid?
yellowish covering
- - - - - - ---- where I think the eye would normally end
---- [ #### ] --- pupil, etc. ------------------------
/

| Top of fish

\
--- [ #### ] -------------------------------------------------
-----------

Hopefully that doesn't get reformatted too horribly during posting.

Just a bit of history on this. The fish was having a problem with this
eye in the pond before I brought it in. When I first found it behind
the basket, the eye was covered with a yellowish cover and the actual
eye was hard to see. After a few days of being in the pond, it
appeared to be getting better (the covering got clearer), but the
"cover" was still protruding.

After the fish was in quarantine, the eye had this covering but
appeared to work fine and was mostly clear. The fish moved the eyeball
and it saw things with that. After returning from the third dip of
Tricide-Neo (perhaps a coincidence or a handling issue) the entire
protrusion was larger and full of blood. I also believe the bump on
the end appeared then. The blood mostly cleared overnight. Since then,
(4 days ago) there hasn't been a lot change. The bubble over the eye
has remained large, yellow and full of fluid. It obscures the eye
enough that I don't think the fish can see much through it. However,
in a recent picture I posted, you can definitely see the "real eye"
with the pupil underneath all this, where it would normally be near
the fish's side. In other words, that part itself isn't protruding.

Would something like an eye fluke cause the swelling I'm seeing? Or,
would that simply be lodged in what I'd call the "real eye" which is
the part with the black in it? It very much looks to me like the "real
eye" is underneath this bubble untouched. It also does not look like
the bubble is the normal covering of the eye. I mean, it extends
almost 1/4" out and the material looks pretty thick and yellow.

If this were caused by trauma, how long would you expect it to take
for the swelling to drop?

Any ideas/guesses welcome.

Thanks,

Dave