Old 30-04-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] iowakoi@yahoo.com is offline

Default Matala filter material

On Apr 28, 5:46 pm, Joe wrote:
I was intrigued by the brief discussion about Matala. I went to their web
site and must admit to being a tad confused.

Is this a product I can use in my skimmer, starting with a sheet of more
porous black Matala followed by green or blue? The water would go through
the black and then the blue.

In my waterfall filter box, since it is fed from the bottom I would put th

sheets of Matala vertically, alternating black, green & blue.

Is water flow really not impeded that much by a full filter?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

You should use the black mat on top as it is the coursest layer 1st.
Matala mats don't imped flow if they are too clogged. Matala mats are
very durable and easy to clean by dripping them in pond water or
washing them with a hose. Lava rock does work but it's a real pain to
deal with. I switched to matala last year and I'll never use lava rock
again.