Old 30-04-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
dwight dwight is offline

Default Happy Tuesday!

"MajorOz" wrote in message
On Apr 29, 8:26 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:04:28 -0400, "dwight"
wrote:

Nothing special about this Tuesday, other than the fact that I was going
through my property this past weekend pulling out everything with three
leaves.

48 hours later, no sign of a misstep. No scratchin', no itchin'. And
when I
get poison ivy, I tend to get it BAD.

I use gloves and wear long sleeves and sweats. Normally, when I'm done
pulling all of the ivy I've spotted, the gloves are the last thing to go
into the bag, then I take a thorough HazMat shower immediately. If
there's
any doubt, the sweats are also disposable.

I hate that stuff. Poison Ivy is, to me, like mosquitos - what possible
purpose could it serve on this Earth?

dwight
(Sorry to rant, but I knew you'all would understand.)

Poison ivy produces berries that are food to some birds.
Unfortunately, the birds scatter the seeds with their droppings making
it a never-ending eradication battle. I have learned to quickly
recognize the plant, both on my property and on hiking trails.
Interesting, it doesn't grow in California.

...really...?

Tell that to the hospital folks at Vandenberg AFB. Some years back,
when they sent volunteers to help fight a fire in the coastal
mountains nearby, a wind shift caused smoke inhalation from burning PI
that put a bunch of folks in hospital with PI burns in trachea and
lungs. Good friend, with a PI allergy, almost died.

cheers

oz

I always thought it was the Ivy in the East, Poison Oak in the West. My son,
also VERY allergic to the ivy, moved out to California a few years ago,
knowing nothing about poison oak. He learned quickly.

dwight