Old 30-04-2008, 12:58 PM
mw80 mw80 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Fisher View Post
"mw80" wrote in message

Hi

Just a quick one. I am new to gardening and i have taken over an
allotment. I am attempting to grow much of what is intended to go into
the ground from seed. Most things have been pretty successful so far
but i have had problems with my cabbages.

I planted Greyhound and a type of red cabbage (Drumhead?). Nearly all
the seeds germinated and when i thought they were ready to transplant
to biiger pots i did so and moved into my cold frame

It looks like i have lost all of them! We have had no frsot
(UK-Midlands) and everything else is fine. I used Westland West +
Advanced compost with a little bit of lime in (i was advised to do
that)

Anything i have done wrong or have i just been unlucky? It seems
strange that i have lost them all (there are 1 or 2 still alive that i
didn't have time to transplant)

It could well be slugs :-(

My brassica seedlings are still in pots in the greenhouse, even the kale. I
haven't planted out my Grehound and January King (red) seedlings yet, I'll
leave it until they're about four or five inches tall then bury them up to
their lowest leaves - but using a solid copper collar round them. That will
stay on all their lives, it really does seem to deter the slugs. The copper
mesh and other devices aren't as effective in my experience.

We've had true April weather here in Leeds, Yorkshire, and I don't want to
risk feeding the slugs any more than I can help.

On lime - I scatter lime on the ground where my brassicae are to live a few
weeks before they go in. Well, that's the intention. I've forgotten this
year :-) It won't harm to use slaked lime even after planting.

You're not going to have 100% success with anything, even when you've been
doing it for a lifetime. My old beekeeping mentor used to remind me that you
don't get a chicken from every egg.

On the other hand - want any tomatoes?

Mary
Hi Mary

It isn't slugs.....they certainly haven't been eaten by anything. More sort of wilted and died! They haven't even gone in the ground yet as all i had done was pot them on and leave them in my cold frame.

Would too much lime cause this as i may have been heavy handed with it?!!

What is the purpose of copper around the cabbages? Could you explain how you do this in a little more detail?

Thanks everyone