Old 30-04-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default stop snails climbing shrubs

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:58:37 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"Lol" wrote in message
om...
We have a 2yr old weeping Caragana Arborescens in a large pot in front
garden, and snails are determined to killl kill kill.

It's a case of picking off 20+ every night, and last year they succeeded
in destroying all new shoots, and bypassing a cardboard collar I fitted to
stop them climbing up.

What other ideas to stop them do you have?

thanks,
lol

a ring off dried coffee grounds around the plant should keep them away, at
least according to experiments I have tried. The ring may need to be quite
wide & the coffee grounds replaced over time as they get wet. My observation
is that the dried grounds seem to deter the snails crawling over them,
probably due to moisture loss. Within reason the grounds also make a decent
fertiliser for the plant.

rob

Starbucks in the US apparently leave their grounds outside for people
to take
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/osw/cons...ws/04-star.htm

They say:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp